A Journey Through Time Press Conference
YB DATO` SRI AZALINA DATO OTHMAN SAID
Minister of Tourism, Malaysia
In conjunction with
` A Journey Through Time Press Conference`
16 September 2008, Tuesday
Salutations (Check VIPs Present)
YBhg. Tan Sri Francis Yeoh,
Group Managing Director, YTL Corporation Berhad
Global Watch Retailers
Members of the media,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- On behalf of the Ministry of Tourism, I would like to thank Yg Bhg Tan Sri Dato’ (Dr.) Francis Yeoh for inviting me to this Press Conference in conjunction with- ‘A Journey Through Time’ Exhibition.
- Before I begin, I would like to congratulate the Starhill Gallery for its visionary in bringing this retail-focused luxury watch and jewellery showcase to Kuala Lumpur. The exhibition indeed will appeal to both the foreign and domestic tourists.
- This event, which I believe is in its second year, is a fine example of a successful collaboration between the private sector and the Government in promoting Malaysia to the world. While the Government acts as a catalyst, the private sector, (in this case Starhill Gallery) takes the leading role
- The projected revenue spin-offs that come from the aggressive marketing, advertisements and retail sales from this event will definitely provide vast potentials to the tourism and economy of the country.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- As far as tourism is concerned, the industry is moving on the right track. Tourist arrivals for the month of August alone registered a growth of 12 % with 1.8 million visitors to Malaysia, compared to the same period last year. Cumulatively, from January to August, more than 14.7 million tourists have visited Malaysia.
- This is a great achievement, what we have achieved in only 8 months is more than that compared to the total tourist arrivals of 2002 and 2003!
- Nonetheless, we must not be complacent, but need to work harder to achieve the goals and targets set under the 9th Malaysia Plan. The contemporary challenges that face us all in the tourism industry are to improve our services, delivery and infrastructure.
- Stakeholders in the industry will have to ensure that all the necessary hardware and software are in place and also remove whatever unnecessary obstacle that is in the way so that our visitors can fully enjoy all the services that we have to offer.
- Malaysian companies in the tourism and leisure sector have to work closely with the Government to ensure that Malaysia as a whole increases its competitive advantage as a top-of-mind-holiday destination.
- On that note, I would like to thank Yg Bhg Tan Sri and the YTL Corporation Berhad for its contribution to the tourism and leisure industry. As such, we hope that more Malaysian entrepreneurs and corporations will be inspired by his endeavors and emulate his initiative to work with the Government in promoting Malaysia to the world.
With those words, I wish Starhill Gallery and A Journey Through Time exhibition every success.